World Spine Day 2018
Love Your Spine
Approximately 1 billion people – from adults to children worldwide, suffer from back pain. It is the biggest single cause of disability globally. Back pain is one of the most common reasons for doctor’s visits, making spine conditions among the top medical conditions that people seek treatment for around the world.
Tomorrow is World Spine Day and as we commemorate this day, we at International Medical Treatment Ltd (IMT) want to use this opportunity to not only educate you on the spine and conditions that affect it but also tell you about one of the best spine centres in the world, the Bumrungrad International Hospital – Spine Centre.
About World Spine Day
The World Spine Day has been held each year, since 2012, to raise awareness about spinal health and spinal disorders. The theme for this year’s campaign is, “Love Your Spine”. Love Your Spine will highlight the importance of spinal health and wellbeing. This is very crucial in helping people take care of themselves to prevent spine conditions.
About the Spine
The spine is what most people refer to as the backbone and it is made up of 26 bone discs known as vertebrae. The vertebrae protect the spinal cord and also allow movement when you stand or bend. The main parts of the spine are:
- Front part consists of the:
1. Vertebrae – small bones stacked on top of each other creating the natural curves of the back.
2. Intervertebral disks – these are located in between the vertebrae.
- Back part that consists of:
1. Cervical spine – begins at the base of the skull to the upper chest.
2. Thoracic spine – starts from the upper chest to the middle back connecting to the rib cage.
3. Lumbar Spine – refers to the lower back where the spine curves inward toward the abdomen.
4. Sacrum and coccyx – located near the bottom of the vertebrae spinal column. The sacrum is a flat triangular bone located between the hip bones and below it is where the coccyx is found.
Most spine issues can be prevented by:
- Living an active life and ensuring that you exercise frequently and being careful to them the right way,
- Avoiding smoking,
- Maintaining a healthy weight,
- Maintaining a healthy diet; more vegetables and fruits,
- Wearing a seat belt while in a car to reduce the risk of spinal injury in case of an accident,
- Wearing protective gear during vigorous sports,
- Avoiding putting too much stress on your spine by practising the correct posture when sitting standing and sleeping, and
- Avoiding lifting items that are heavier than 25% of your weight, among other things.
Bumrungrad International Hospital Spine Centre
Bumrungrad international hospital in Bangkok Thailand, is the leading medical tourism destination in the world treating over 520,000 international patients every year.
Its spine centre is one of the largest and most comprehensive spine treatment centres in Asia and receives patients from all over the world, including may from Africa and The Middle East.
It offers complete surgical and non-surgical approaches to treatment for diseases of the spine. Some of the common spine-related conditions treated at the BIH spine centre are:
- Back pain
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal cord injuries like spinal fractures
- Herniated disc
- Cervical spondylosis
The advanced treatments offered at the BIH spine centre can either be surgical or non-surgical.
Surgical treatments for spine conditions
- Artificial Cervical Disc replacement
- Endoscopic Decompression for Spinal Canal Stenosis
- Endoscopic Discectomy for Lumbar and Cervical Disc Herniation
- Percutaneous Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- Spinal Fusion
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty
In the case of surgical procedures, minimally invasive surgical techniques are used. The benefits of these procedures are:
- Less soft tissue trauma and less scarring due to small incisions that are made as opposed to conventional surgery which involve large incisions.
- Less pain as compared to traditional surgery.
- Patient safety is increased through led blood loss.
- Patients generally being able to walk within 24 hours.
- Shorter hospital stays due to faster recovery.
Non-surgical Spinal Interventions
- Epidural stenosis injections (ESI)
- Facet joint injections
- Radiofrequency neurotomy
- Medial branch nerve block injections
- Sacroiliac (SI) joint injections
Apart from the state-of-the-art equipment at BIH, The Spine Institute and Spine Centre, has a multidisclinary team of highly trained orthopaedic and neurosurgeons, pain specialists, physical therapists and nurses who have adequate experience in treating and looking after patients suffering from all types of back and neck conditions.
Love your spine. Get treatment for you or your loved one at the Bumrungrad International Hospital Spine Centre and experience world class standards of medical care.
Click the button below to find out more about spine conditions and treatment options from our partner hospitals around the world.
How IMT can help
We, at International Medical Treatment (IMT), are experienced facilitators who can link you with some of the best specialists in our partner hospitals in India, Dubai and Thailand.
We are here to help. By using IMT you will be assured of the following:
You will get a free, dedicated client coordinator who will help you coordinate with our partner hospitals to provide you, for free, with treatment plans and quotes to allow you to make an informed decision about which hospital and treatment is right for you.
All our partner hospitals are internationally accredited (JCI) and are the top hospitals in each country. We only work with the market leading hospitals.
If you arrange things through us you will never pay more than if you were to contact the hospitals directly.
No waiting times.
No hidden fees, no obligations- receive a free, dedicated coordinator from IMT to help coordinate and book your international medical treatment.
Find Out More
To find out more about IMT and the services available visit our website at www.intmedicaltreatment.com or call us today on +254 0740 409 727. You can also visit our office at The Mirage, 1st Floor, Tower 2, Chiromo, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya.