Cosmetic surgeries are procedures carried out to improve a person’s appearance and in recent times, they have become quite common. Some of the common cosmetic surgeries include liposuction, facial cosmetic surgeries (such as rhinoplasty, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), vulvovaginal surgery, and breast cosmetic surgeries (such as mastopexy and breast augmentation).
People have different reasons for wanting to undergo cosmetic surgeries, including wanting to look younger or to change a feature they do not like. Whatever your reason is for considering cosmetic surgery, there are several important factors you need to bear in mind which could help you in making an informed decision on the procedure you are looking to have.
1. The reason you want the procedure
Cosmetic surgery procedures are optional and therefore not necessary, unlike other surgical procedures. If you want to have a cosmetic procedure done, it is advisable that it be because you want to improve yourself not because of pressure from other people. Do it because it is your choice not because someone else is paying for it or pushing you to have it. That way, it becomes more fulfilling and worthwhile.
2. Your personal health
For any surgery to be carried out, the patient has to be in good health or in a reasonable state of health that allows them to undergo the procedure.
3. Choosing the right surgeon
This is where research comes in – to find the right surgeon is very important not only in getting the right result but also in helping to make the right decision about whether to have the procedure and if so, which procedure to have. Ensure you do appropriate research before choosing the surgeon who will carry out the procedure you are thinking of having. You can do this by:
- Asking for recommendations from friends or family members who have gone through similar procedures
- Checking the surgeon’s qualifications before making your first appointment – their expertise and whether the doctor has adequate experience in such procedures to get your desired results.
- Finding out whether the cosmetic surgeon is affiliated with any hospital. It is advisable to choose a doctor who has hospital access to perform the surgery you are considering.
- If you are able to check reviews of the doctor(s) you are considering, do that but with an open mind as social media can also be a source of misinformation.
- Once you have picked a surgeon to work with, go for your first consultation ready to ask questions that will help you make the best decision. During the consultation you may decide to settle on the doctor depending on how it goes. Make sure the two of you are on the same page.
4. Have realistic goals
Everyone who wants cosmetic surgery has an idea of what they want as an outcome. However, during your consultation you should discuss realistic improvements with your surgeon. The goal of the surgeon is usually to enhance your appearance while retaining your natural physical characteristics.
To be able to plan well for your surgery, ensure you know the total cost of the procedure including any follow up care. Find out whether the cost covers the follow up or that will need to be paid separately.
6. Possible risk
Cosmetic surgeries, just like other surgeries, involve risks such as infection around the site of the surgery. Therefore, you should discuss any risks you face with your surgeon and what is to be done if any of the risks occur.
7. Duration of recovery
The surgeon, having performed other surgeries, should be able to determine the approximate time it will take for you to recover from the procedure which will help you plan better for your recovery and help you make any necessary arrangements.
WFinding the right cosmetic surgeon is the first step to getting the best results possible. International Medical Treatment Limited (IMT) partners with some of the best hospitals in the world, all of which have comprehensive plastic and cosmetic surgery centres. To find out more, contact IMT today.