What is Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
Obstetrics is a medical field that concentrates on pregnancy, childbirth and the time soon after birth while Gynaecology is the medical field that focuses on a woman’s reproductive system, its functions and the diseases that affect it.
Types of Conditions
Obstetric conditions can include some of the following:
- Gestational Trophoblastic: this is a rare type of cancer that occurs during pregnancy. The cancer cells grow in the uterus where the baby grows.
- Ectopic pregnancy: occurs when the fertilised egg attaches itself on other parts of the reproductive system and not the uterus as it should.
- Spontaneous abortion (miscarriage): is the natural death of an embryo or foetus before 20 weeks of gestation.
- Labour abnormalities: these are the rare cases during labour such as malpresentation (the wrong positioning of the baby that hinders natural delivery).
- Congenital malfunctioning of the female genital tract: these are conditions that affect normal functioning of the various reproductive parts such as the uterus e.g. Didelphys (a condition in which a woman has two uterine walls).
Gynaecological conditions can include some of the following:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): is a condition common in women that affects the ovaries causing prolonged and irregular menstruation.
- Genital tract infections: these include Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD’s) such as Gonorrhoea and Syphilis.
- Ovarian cysts: these are fluid sac pockets that grow in the ovaries. Most are harmless and cause no pain, However, some do cause pain and may even be cancerous.
- Endometriosis: is a condition that occurs when the lining of the uterus grows on other areas of the body especially the reproductive areas such as the fallopian tube, the pelvis and the ovaries.
- Uterine fibroids: these are noncancerous tumours that grow in the uterus especially during child bearing years.
Are you suffering from a obstretic or gynaecological condition that requires treatment?
Maybe you are suffering from a gynaecological or obstetric condition that requires treatment, but you don’t have access to a hospital or clinic that can give you the treatment that you need. Maybe you haven’t been diagnosed with a gynaecological or obstetric condition but are worried that you may have a condition and you want to be thoroughly tested. Have you thought about travelling to an overseas hospital for a full range of tests, perhaps even a second opinion? International Medical Treatment (IMT) can help you access cost- effective, high quality endocrinology treatments at some of our leading partner hospitals in India, Dubai and Thailand.